[Radiance-general] Glare and visual confort indices -- Are they ready?

Germán Molina Larrain germolinal at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 04:27:07 PST 2016

Dear List,

Even if this is not a question regarding the use of Radiance, it certainly
is something related to this list or at least the expertise of its
participants. I want to start a discussion.

As a small group of you may know, I am the developer of a Radiance-based
lighting tool. This tool has the purpose of taking the state-of-the-art
daylighting calculation methods and practices to industry. However, since
industry sometimes just jump over a software, I am always worried about
methods and tool being used incorrectly.

In this last regard, I have been wondering for a while whether I should add
glare calculation capabilities or not. My impression is that they are
incredibly easy to misuse. For example, at the NREL's 12th Radiance
Workshop, Jan Wienold and Kevin Van Den Wymelenberg made Glare-oriented
presentations that did not really agree much.

So, my question is: are glare indices, such as UGR, DGP, etc. etc. ready
for use? Maybe only the Electric Lighting ones are ready? How about the
Daylighting ones? I do not want to offer something that looks like a magic
black-box, but which leads to incorrect results. I also know that having
something is better than nothing, but that only works as long as that
"something" helps guiding the design in the right direction.

Thanks very much in advance.

Germán