[Radiance-general] Frozen Octree instances in a different location

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 10:22:01 PDT 2016

Hi Terrance,

Glad you sorted it out.  Another trick that works and is slightly more efficient is to create a "partial octree" containing your scene except building, then add to it, i.e.:

	oconv -f materials.rad Scene1.rad > octrees/frozen-site.oct
	oconv -f -i octrees/frozen-site.oct Building1.rad > octrees/building1-site.oct
	(make a second version of building)
	oconv -f -i octrees/frozen-site.oct Building2.rad > octrees/building2-site.oct

The above will work without the -f option, also, if you want your octree files to be a little smaller and you don't plan to move them about.  Adding geometry to an existing octree can be much faster than rebuilding the whole thing from scratch.  The one caveat is that your new geometry must fit entirely within the bounding box of the original geometry.  If it will not, you can use the -b option in the first oconv to specify a bounding volume that encompasses everything.

Cheers,
-Greg