[Radiance-general] Research tools: who what which how?

Christopher Rush Christopher.Rush at arup.com
Wed Apr 13 08:28:44 PDT 2016

I focus on bash because little snippets help just as much on the standard terminal as they do in a script. I'm not writing plugins so I've never thought about API compatibility, but only how quickly I can figure out how to do what I need. I had two intro courses to C++ long ago in high school and college, so as my "native tongue" of programming, anything I can relate to that tends to be most comfortable to me.

I've picked up a few python snippets from the web for large data file manipulation. I don't find the language very intuitive from the few examples I've used, but it definitely handles data well.

I've never even investigated Ruby or PERL. Do both handle large data sets quickly and efficiently? Is either one more relatable to bash or C++?

Regarding Randolph's original question, I suppose I've had some LISP exposure through AutoCAD but not at all recently. And more recent working experience with MATLAB and Mathematica.

-Chris