[Radiance-general] install Radiance on Mac

Chris Kallie kallie at umn.edu
Sun Sep 27 07:17:44 PDT 2015

If you are trying to unzip the latest release, the command is most likely:

tar -zxf rad5R0all.tar.gz

-zxf is options for the tar command, and the file name being unzipped is
at the end.

Here are my personal notes for installing on Mac and Linux (arrow >
means command line, double quotes means replace with appropriate file
name, brackets are notes):

1) install XCode from App Store
2) install X11

3) compile, by running these commands
 > tar -xzf "radiance_release"
 > tar -xzf "HEAD"
 > cd ray/
 > sudo ./makeall install
(use default, or direct to newly made 'bin' folder)
(use default, or direct to 'lib' folder)
 > ./makeall library
(direct to 'lib' folder)

4) update your paths
 > nano ~/.profile

Put these three lines in the .profile text file, replacing the
appropriate paths. Your paths will look different, but they are the
paths to the 'bin' 'lib' and 'doc' folders created during the
installation. If you're on a Mac, the file will most likely be empty. If
it's not empty, you can add these three lines anywhere in the file.

export PATH=/Users/chris/Applications/rad50/ray/bin:$PATH
export RAYPATH=.:/Users/chris/Applications/rad50/ray/lib
export MANPATH=/Users/chris/Applications/rad50/ray/doc/man

5) close and reopen terminal, and test installation

 > which mkpmap
 > man mkpmap

Download mark stock's benchmark, open a terminal, change to the
appropriate directory, and type:
 >tar -xf bench4.zip
 > cd bench4
(for single core, type:)
 >make
(for multi core, type:)
 >NCPU=2; make smp

It will take a bit of practice and patience to get familiar with the
Unix command line, so give it time and take plenty of breaks (I
recommend going to the gym).

Hope this helps,
Chris