[Radiance-general] bean counting the photon array

Chris Kallie kallie at umn.edu
Sat Oct 24 15:26:38 PDT 2015

Fellow Renderers,

I am using The Radiance Photon Map Extension to analyze the light
passing through an irregular glass object. The luminaire is not visible
from the viewpoint, and the environment is a simple Lambertian surround.

I wish to account for all scattering events (i.e., specular reflections
and refractions) that eventually make it to the viewpoint, and I wish to
render (or at least account for) scattering events incrementally, in
order to visualize the unfolding (and hopefully the order) of
contributing events. I have been successful (to some degree) when the
environment has a non-zero reflectance, but mkpmap fails when I set the
surrounding environment reflectivity to zero.

So far, the only way I have been able to record a single bounce in a
non-reflective environment is with rpict, but there I notice not just
one, but also two or three scattering events: 1) an expected specular
reflection on the outer hull of the object; plus 2|3) what appears to be
an inner specular reflection after an initial refraction--followed by an
exit refraction--from within the object. This indicates to me that rpict
does not count refractions the same way it counts specular reflections
(although I think mkpmap does). I have also been able to render 1+
scattering event(s) with mkpmap, plus 1+ scattering event(s) with rpict,
when including a non-zero reflectance Lambertian environment, but I
don't think those images are useful because I don't think they describe
any realistic physics (although I might be able to use similar images
with pcomb in some clever way to reverse-engineer the contributions of
physical events).

The other issue I have with using rpict for computing the first
scattering event is because I know it under-samples the caustic
environment without mkpmap, so I am guessing that rpict will be useful
for computing some proportion of all but (at least) the first scattering
event(s) (i.e., perhaps I could use some thoughtful combination of
n+p-scattering events between n-scatter-distributions and
p-scatter-gatherings).

I hope this description/shorthand wasn't too confusing.

In summary, I would like to use a combination of mkpmap and rpict to
incrementally build the photon array, and perhaps use pcomb or some
other statistical or combinatorial technique to analyze the
contributions of scattering events as they relate to the viewpoint.
Finally, whatever limitations are imposed by the software can be
incorporated into the limits of the model (in other words, I'll take
what I can get!).

P.S. Unrelated question: How do I tell Radiance the right physical units
for my glass object?

Thank you, always!
Chris