[Radiance-general] Brightness to cd/m2?

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 09:31:50 PDT 2015

Hello Iris,

If the picture has been re-exposed by some other program (such as pfilt), then there will be an EXPOSURE= line in the header, which you can see with the getinfo command.  In any case, you can use the "pvalue -o -b" option to undo this exposure and convert to brightness, then multiply the output by 179 to get luminance in cd/m^2.

This is of course assuming your picture was generated by Radiance in the first place using a properly calibrated scene.  If it is just an HDR image you got from somewhere, it is unlikely that the pixels have an absolute basis.

Best,
-Greg