[Radiance-general] Specularity Definition of Radiance Material

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 09:48:49 PDT 2015

Hi Andrei,

While specularities greater than 0.1 are not realistic for non-metals, specularity is limited only by physicality (i.e., 1.0) for metals.

Your method should work well enough for metallic surfaces with uncolored highlights.  If you have colored specular reflections, then you may have to do something a little more sophisticated, like multiplying the CIE standard observer curves to get XYZ then convert to RGB for Radiance using xyz_rgb.cal.

Cheers,
-Greg