[Radiance-general] Luminaire modelling using Radiance

Christopher Rush Christopher.Rush at arup.com
Fri Nov 13 07:33:22 PST 2015

If you want to try Thomas’ recommendation, look in the IES file for a pair of lines just below the header that look like this. I’m borrowing the example out of Ian Ashdown’s “Thinking Photometrically Part II” which you can easily find online.
1 50000 1 5 3 1 1 .5 .6 0
1.0 1.0 495

In that example the 50000 represents number of lumens (now sometimes noted as -1 for LED luminaires tested differently), 495 represents number of Watts, and the values 0.5, 0.6, 0 represent the X, Y, and Z dimensions of a rectangular luminaire. In some cases, certain dimensional values could be given as negative, which signifies various types of rounded shapes for interpretation by software.

You can freely change the XYZ values in the IES file without affecting the data. Only when you import the IES file through IES2RAD (or into Dialux, AGI, etc.) does software interpret the dimensions and apply the brightness functions across the appropriate surface areas given by the dimensions.

-Chris