[Radiance-general] Missing solar source visibility from gendaylit for multiple ambient-bounces

J. Alstan Jakubiec alstan at jakubiec.net
Sun May 31 20:54:01 PDT 2015

Dear List,

I'm running into a bit of a frustrating issue, and I am not sure what
the cause might be. I am creating a sky model using gendaylit with a
high amount of direct solar component as seen below,
 > gendaylit 05 18 8.667 -W 881 63 -a 1 -o -104 -m -120

The issue is that when I render my scene using -ab 1, I can see the
solar disc. When I render it with a higher number of ambient bounces,
such as 4, the solar disc is absent from the final visualization. You
can see the results here: 1 ambient bounce
<https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3175325/ab1.png>, 4 ambient bounces
<https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3175325/ab4.png>. You will notice
that in the rendering with 4 ambient bounces, the shadows are still cast
properly as if the sun is present.
I am using a slightly older version of Radiance right now (RADIANCE 4.2a
lastmod  by  on w015t-001), but I suspect that isn't the root of the
problem. This issue also occurs when I use gensky
<https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3175325/ab4_clsky.png>. I have
never seen this kind of behavior before from Radiance. Does anyone have
thoughts as to what might cause this?

Thank you,
Alstan