[Radiance-general] Radiance-general Digest, Vol 135, Issue 18

Zack Rogers zrogers at daylightinginnovations.com
Wed May 13 21:38:56 PDT 2015

Hi Ikrima,

Not really knowing your exact needs, I'll try to answer:

> As Daysim and SPOT Pro's main difference is mainly how to treat with sun
> and sky components, is that applies to all radiance-based-engine tools
> (including Radiance command-line approach itself)? By other words, is the
> way sun-and-sky-being-treated the main motivation to go for
> radiance-based-engine-tools rather than simple tools (i.e. like Ecotect)?

The Daylight Coefficient or a Design Day interpolation annual simulation
approaches do not have to be unique to Ray-tracing engines, like Radiance.
Radiosity engines can make use of the same concepts for annual simulation.
Radiosity can often run a single point in time quicker, with other
limitations, and so can calculate more coefficients or design days.  I am
not sure, but I believe Ecotect is providing an interface to Radiance for
simulation and maybe has its own sun path and solar shading design tools.

> So if someone needs to just investigate how different complex fenestration
> systems will affect indoor daylight coefficients (no illuminance levels nor
> pictures needed), there is no need to generate BSDF data for those CFS and
> even no need to use radiance?

I believe good representative BSDF data, or just a good model of the
fenestration system itself, would still be very important to get a good
calculation of daylight coefficients (which is as challenging of a
calculation as illuminance).  Using Radiance based tools is not necessary
as there are other Ray-tracing and Radiosity based tools that can do
similar calculations.  One convenient thing is that the Radiance based
tools use this standard XML BSDF definition now which aligns with the
Windows 7 software giving greater access to these definitions.

Regards,
Zack

--
Zack Rogers, P.E., LEED AP BD+C