[Radiance-general] 3-phase method daylight matrix

Eleonora Brembilla E.Brembilla at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Mar 12 07:56:17 PDT 2015

Dear all

I have a couple of questions about the 3 phase method, I haven’t used it much before so I’d like to be sure of what I’m doing.

1. I have a multi aspect room, so I divided the windows in two groups, depending on their orientation, each group with its own modifier (is it alright even if they are in the same file?). In this way, the first run of rfluxmtx automatically produces two view matrices. The second run, for the daylight matrix, works well either if I use the same single file with all the windows in it or if I create two separate rad files for the two orientations, but the final illuminance results are somehow different (lower for the first option, higher for the second). I am carrying on with the two separate files, because of something reported in the older version of the 3-phase method tutorial about this, but I’d like to know if it’s the right way to go.

The ambient parameters I’m using are:
-ab 12 -ad 50000 -lw 2e-5	(for the view matrix)
-ab 2 -ad 5000 -lw 2e-4		(for the daylight matrix)

Also, when at the end I have one illuminance file per orientation, is it correct just to add them together using the rmtxop addition?

2. As well as the transmission matrix, all the other matrices in the rmtxop multiplication can be substituted if I am changing only one condition, right? e.g. if I’m testing different grid resolutions I am changing only the view matrix and if I use different time steps I’ll change only the sky matrix.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Eleonora