[Radiance-general] Blotching caused by translucent material

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 09:05:09 PDT 2015

This seems like a poster case for the new photon-mapping routines.  If you are working with the latest alpha version, you should definitely give that a try.  The irradiance cache isn't built to handle specular scattering like this.  You would have to turn it off with -aa 0 and put up with the noise.  Using a caustic photon map avoids the issue.  It's even built into the latest rad program, so you just need to set up your maps using:

	PGMAP= scene_g.pmp 200K 50
	PCMAP= scene_c.pmp 1M 50

Rad will run mkpmap and set the rvu or rpict options appropriately, and you can watch what it does.  It typically spits out things like:

	oconv sky.rad window3b.rad office.rad window_port.rad > test3f.oct
	mkpmap -apo window_port -fo+ -apg test3f_g.pmp 200K -apc test3f_c.pmp 1M test3f.oct
	rpict -vu 0 1 0 -vf fish.vf -dp 512 -ar 185 -ms 1.3 -ds .3 -dt .1 -dc .5 -dr 1 -ss 1 -st .1 -ab 1 -af test3f.amb -aa .1 -ad 1536 -as 392 -av 10 10 10 -lr 8 -lw 1e-4 -ap test3f_g.pmp 50 -ap test3f_c.pmp 50 -av 0.8 0.8 0.8 -x 64 -y 64 -ps 1 test3f.oct > /dev/null
	rpict -vu 0 1 0 -vf fish.vf -x 1024 -y 1024 -dp 512 -ar 185 -ms 1.3 -ds .3 -dt .1 -dc .5 -dr 1 -ss 1 -st .1 -ab 1 -af test3f.amb -aa .1 -ad 1536 -as 392 -av 10 10 10 -lr 8 -lw 1e-4 -ap test3f_g.pmp 50 -ap test3f_c.pmp 50 -av 0.8 0.8 0.8 -ps 6 -pt .08 test3f.oct > test3f_fish.unf
	pfilt -1 -e .05 -r .6 -x /2 -y /2 test3f_fish.unf > test3f_fish.hdr
	rm -f test3f_fish.unf

You can dig through these for hints of how to run everything if you prefer doing it by hand.

Cheers,
-Greg