[Radiance-general] Weighting factors used in the irradiance calculation

Parisa Khademagha p.khademagha at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 14:59:42 PDT 2015

Hi Jan,

It is true that if these weighting functions are from V-lambda they are to be used only in calculation of photometric quantities. Doing so the summation of the triad irradiance values should be multiplied to 179 efficacy function to give illuminance ( I = 179*(0.265 IR+ 0.670 IG + 0.065 IB)). What I don’t understand is why these weighting functions are used in calculation of radiometric quantities like irradiance ( I = 0.265 IR+ 0.670 IG + 0.065 IB). You said you calculate everything in grey (r=g=b) to avoid this problem. Shall I ask what do you mean by everything? What is the luminous reflectance of the grey you use? Moreover, is it possible to measure the effective irradiance with respect to C-lambda using adjusted weighting functions? Should the summation of the weighting functions be again equal to 1 as they are for V-lambda?

Cheers,
Parisa