[Radiance-general] Blotching caused by translucent material

Andrew McNeil amcneil at lbl.gov
Fri Jun 12 10:50:02 PDT 2015

Hi Orn,

It looks like the specular transmission component is sampled
stochastically, this happens because you have non-zero roughness in your
trans definition. To reduce the blotches in your sun patches you'll need to
crank ad, reduce aa and set st to zero. I'd keep lw at roughly 1/ad because
you want to heavily sample the window but with so many rays you don't need
them to split much further. You could also consider turning off the ambient
cache by setting -aa 0. This changes the effect from blotches to noise,
which sometimes has a better appearance.

Or you could change roughness from 0.010 to 0. I'm not sure how important
the roughness is to you simulation, but I don't expect it'll have much
affect on your illuminance result. But if you're interested in simulating
appearance accurately then the roughness is important.

I'd also suggest double checking your trans definition. It has a very low
total transmission (~9%) and is mostly specular.

Best,
Andy