[Radiance-general] Simulation ecotect_radiance_daysim

Guglielmetti, Robert Robert.Guglielmetti at nrel.gov
Mon Jun 1 07:38:23 PDT 2015

Generally speaking, the best thing to do is to break your building down
into the least number of daylighting simulation problems. I would define a
simulation problem as any space (or group of spaces, if they all can
"share" daylight) that represents a unique architectural daylighting
scenario. Look for unique combinations of form factors, orientations, and
room surface characteristics (e.g. room surface reflectance, glazing
transmittance). A row of offices all facing the same way could be reduced
to a single office model. If those offices all have access to potential
daylight from the atrium, then a model with the atrium geometry and an
exemplar office model for each orientation might work. Of course it's hard
to model the effect of atria on adjacent spaces without modeling a lot of
the building, to be honest; the effects of the atrium will vary
vertically, as well. But you can still probably reduce your entire
building model to a subset of modeling challenges for Radiance.

- Rob