[Radiance-general] rendering with environment maps

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 06:43:27 PDT 2015

Hi

Sorry for replying late. I didn't have time for email yesterday.

1) Perhaps your use of the "glow" material for the environment box stops
the direct calculation from reaching the light source? Can you post the
definition of your light source? I know a combination of HDR mapped to a
sky dome and other light sources can be done but I'm not sure if this works
with a box, too.

2a) You can render the image of the environment map on the reflecting
sphere separately from the main scene and then just combine the two images.
You won't have the lighting pattern on the mirrored object, though. Perhaps
there is a way to capture the lighting pattern with a lambertian material
and multiply the values from both images? You'd have to make sure that your
environment texture captures accurate lighting data.

2b) Instead of reflecting a texture in the mirror ball you could just apply
the texture directly to the mirror. What real-world physical effect do you
want to simulate?