[Radiance-general] genBSDF with blinds only?

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 09:48:06 PDT 2015

Hi Rob,

The trick is to use the "-dim" option of genBSDF to sample an interior region of the blinds, thus avoiding the edge condition and creating a BSDF that you can apply generically.  Andy McNeil has an example of this in the genBSDF tutorial he is writing.  I will send you a draft of it off-list, as he's not quite done editing it.

In general, genBSDF always creates a virtual surface for sampling, and when you apply it to a surface for rendering, it behaves as a proxy for the actual geometry.  You can of course include real geometry if you like by giving the BSDF primitive a thickness, and this is described in my presentation from a few workshops back:

	http://www.radiance-online.org/community/workshops/2011-berkeley-ca/presentations/day1/GW2_New_BSDF.pdf

Cheers,
-Greg