[Radiance-general] Radiance-general Digest, Vol 137, Issue 8

Guglielmetti, Robert Robert.Guglielmetti at nrel.gov
Fri Jul 10 08:52:23 PDT 2015

OK so it sounds like you first tried the Windows installer (presumably a
NREL-provided one such as this:
https://github.com/NREL/Radiance/releases/download/5.0.a.3/radiance-5.0.a-w
in64.exe), and this most likely worked fine, you just had some issues
actually *doing* anything with it. This is normal. =)

I recommend you install Git for windows (https://msysgit.github.io/), as
that will add a little BASH emulator in your Windows system. This way you
can run most of the commands exactly as they appear in most of the
tutorials out there that are written from a UNIX perspective (as you point
out). If you run the "Git BASH shell" you will be able to try out all the
multi-phase methods, use and generate BSDFs, etc. Once you have Git for
Windows installed, head over to Andy McNeil's tutorials for 3- and
5-phase, fire up the Git BASH shell (it'll be in the Git program group in
the Windows start menu), and get started!

One thing to keep in mind is that when running any commands that
read/write data (e.g. rcontrib), be sure to use ASCII format rather than
float. Windows has issues with float data (among many other things).

Good luck!

- Rob