[Radiance-general] Radiance "Official" Release

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 16:05:15 PDT 2015

Hi Andrei,

Rob is right that there is no big difference between an "official" release and any other update.  The main reason to have official releases is so individuals or institutions that distrust the development process can have a known quantity.

I typically create an official release every year or two when I feel: (a) there are enough new features to make a release sensible, and (b) the code is at a relatively stable point where nothing drastically new and untested has just been added.  Nevertheless, most official releases are followed in the subsequent weeks with patch releases to fix bugs that we or others have identified in the code.  It is really the patched official releases that end up being the most stable point, though it must be said at this time that the last official release is rather seriously behind in the features department.

Our goal is to make a new official release around the time of the upcoming Radiance workshop in August.

Cheers,
-Greg