[Radiance-general] no graph

Andrew McNeil amcneil at lbl.gov
Tue Jan 27 14:35:00 PST 2015

Jiajie,

My guess is that the intended action associated with each line in the
example you are following is not clear.

*vi room.rad*

This opens a terminal based text editor. vi is notoriously difficult for
newcomers to use. I recommend nano for new users. To use nano type:

*nano room.rad*

The following lines should be entered into the text editor. With nano you
can use copy/paste to enter the commands.

*void light bright*

*0*

*0*

*3 100 100 100*

*void plastic red_plastic*

*0*

*0*

*5 .7 .05 .05 .05 .05*

*bright sphere fixture*

*0*

*0*

*4 2 1 1.5 .125*

*red_plastic sphere ball*

*0*

*0*

*4 .7 1.125 .625 .125*

After the text above is entered you should save the file and close the text
editor. With nano this is accomplished using ctrl-o to save than ctrl-x to
exit.

The following lines are commands that are entered at the terminal prompt,
not into the text editor. The % sign is intended to indicate the command
prompt, and should not be typed into the terminal.

*%oconv room.rad>test.oct*

*%getinfo test.oct*

*%**rview -vp 2.25 .375 1 -vd -.25 .125 -.125 -av .5 .5 .5 test.oct*

*%rview -defaults*

At the terminal type:

*oconv room.rad > test.oct*

This creates a Radiance octree scene  file from your scene file.

*getinfo test.oct*

This gives you information about the octree file. I get the following
output after running the command:

test.oct:

#?RADIANCE

oconv room.rad

FORMAT=Radiance_octree

rview is the old name for the interactive scene viewer. It was renamed to
rvu a few years back to avoid a naming conflict with a vi alias. So you
should type the following instead.

*rvu -vp 2.25 .375 1 -vd -.25 .125 -.125 -av .5 .5 .5 test.oct*

This opens an X11 window where you should see the red ball appear.

If you follow these instructions and don't get the expected output, write
back including any errors reported in the terminal.

Good Luck.

Andy