[Radiance-general] Depth outdoor daylighting test facility

Andrew McNeil amcneil at lbl.gov
Thu Jan 22 10:24:15 PST 2015

Hi Giuseppe,

At LBNL we find that our window test bed (10 feet wide by 15 feet deep)
isn't deep enough to demonstrate all the full benefits of daylight
redirection. In this facility the redirected daylight often hits the back
wall.

Our new FLEXLAB (20 feet wide by 30 feet deep) we believe these dimensions
are deep enough, but we haven't yet tested daylight redirecting systems in
FLEXLAB (coming this spring!).

I like Christoph's suggestion of a standard reference office for testing
systems via simulation. And if physical test cells match the dimensions of
the simulation standard, all the better. A global network of identical test
cells at different institutions would be amazing.

Andy