[Radiance-general] CIE version in gensky

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Wed Jan 14 14:02:05 PST 2015

Hi,

I missed that thread, so a late reply. While having the current CIE skies in gensky would certainly nice, we do not really depend on it. Philip Greenup had the models implemented in  a little cal-file (ssldlum.cal), which used to be on www.radiance-online.org in the patches-directory but disappeared with the installation of the new web-site.

Still, the file is documented on page 251 of Philip's thesis (a highly recommended reading, not only that one page..). For a quick pragmatic problem-solving copy&paste will do: http://eprints.qut.edu.au/15936/1/Philip_Greenup_Thesis.pdf

Cheers, Lars.

> Zack Rogers developed a module for Python (IES_gensky.py) that is part of SPOT and updates the gensky model.
>
> I also seem to remember that in one of the early Radiance workshops there was a reference to an updated CIE sky generator that could produce all 15 standard sky models. I don't think it ever got a public release but the source files were exchenged off-list now and then.
>
> Regards,
> Thomas
>
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 2:09 PM, Ehsan <em.vazifeh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dr. Ward,
>
> I will happy to have latest version of sky model. I know it is time consuming to program and update the gensky but as its part of my research work, I'll be glad if I can take part in updating it.
>
> Cheers,
> Ehsan
>
> On 17 Nov 2014, at 02:40, Greg Ward <gregoryjward at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ehsan,
>>
>> The gensky command has overcast and clear sky distributions based on an older CIE standard.  I don't remember which one, but gensky was written in the late 80's.  Subsequently in 1991 or so, I added an "intermediate" sky type, but I'm not sure it adheres to the newer 2002 standard.
>>
>> Most people who care about the sky distribution using gendaylit, but if enough people really want it, I could see about updating gensky to the current CIE standard(s).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -Greg
>>
>>> From: "Ehsan M.Vazifeh" <em.vazifeh at gmail.com>
>>> Subject: [Radiance-general] CIE version in gensky
>>> Date: November 15, 2014 9:28:12 AM EST
>>>
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I have a lazy question, what is the latest version of CIE sky used in gensky at the moment? their latest update was in 2002 (CIE GENERAL SKY STANDARD DEFINING LUMINANCE DISTRIBUTIONS) if I am correct.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Ehsan