[Radiance-general] Daylighting simulations for different room depth

Giuseppe De Michele giudm.87 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 02:56:34 PST 2015

Dear expert,

About a month ago, I have asked you about the design of an outdoor test
facility. Below some results.

Cell height: 2.7 m and cell width: 5.5 m. The transparent facade faces
south and it is divided in 2 windows, the bottom one has a fixed shading
system composed by simple lamella at 45° tilt angle. For the upper one two
systems has been tested:

- Complex lamella for light redirection

- Internal light shelf (width 1.2 m) with clear glass

The cell is located in the northern Italy.

The reflectance coefficients used are the common one except for the ceiling
set at 0.9.

I have performed three (one for each depth) annual simulations
climate-based with the 3-phase method. Then, the UDI index has been
analyzed (images at the link below). Observations:

1.    From your knowledge, are the results reliable?

2.    From the 4 meters the two systems seems to be equivalent. Can it be
since the systems do not influence the daylight trend from that distance?

3.    Until the 7 meter, the daylight trend seems to be equal comparing the
three scenarios. After, we have the largest differences.

4.    It is interesting to note as the UDI300-3000 on the 9 m pass from the
60% of the working hours (image 45 - 9m) to almost 40% (image 45 - 10m)
going under the UDI>3000 extended the depth from 9 to 10m.

Here the images:

http://s8.postimg.org/w22xxny9h/45_8m.jpg

http://s8.postimg.org/ht3bfljqt/45_9m.jpg

http://s8.postimg.org/fd1i1r1o5/45_10m.jpg

Any comments on the results?

For the next step, I would like to use a reflectance coefficient very low
for the bottom vertical wall.

Many thanks in  advance for the feedback.

Best,
*Giuseppe*