[Radiance-general] Modeling a cloud

Mark Stock mstock at umich.edu
Mon Feb 23 11:36:28 PST 2015

Eduardo,

I have done some experimentation with clouds in Radiance, and there
are two ways that seem to work.

One is to define a closed cloud volume and apply the "mist" material
to it. This mesh must be closed, watertight, and non-intersecting, and
will appear to be of constant "cloud" density. It helps considerably
if it's in the shape of a cloud. It can look something like this:
http://markjstock.org/graphics/ray/clouds04.jpg

The other method allows varying density throughout the cloud, but is a
lot more work. It consists of creating a large number of small,
non-overlapping cubes (a dense matrix of cubes with small spaces
between them), each with a different mist material applied to them.
http://markjstock.org/transfer/img2_00.jpg
http://markjstock.org/transfer/img3_01.jpg

These options seemed to create the most cloud-like volumes (with
clouds of size 1 and mist "voxels" of size ~0.01):
-ma 0.95 0.95 0.95 -mg 0.05 -ms 0.001

Mark