[Radiance-general] modeling trees in Radiance

Germán Molina Larrain germolinal at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 04:46:26 PST 2015

Dear Joe and Greg,

I was trying to emulate a micro perforated metal the other day (I do not
want to draw thousands of little holes!)... I tried to use TRANS equations
to derive the parameters I needed, but it did not seem to work. I think
TRANS properties vary with the ngle of incidence??

I ended up using a mixture between VOID and a Plastic material, on which I
varied the percentage of "Void"... I am not sure, maybe that trick would
also help modelling trees.

Am I correct? Is, what I did, legally from the physical laws of lighitng?
Hi Joe,

If you want to model your tree as a sphere (on a stick?) with a certain
transmittance, the "trans" material type should suit your purpose.
Parameter setting is a bit tricky, but since you don't have any reflection
or scattering to consider, simply set values according to your
transmittance T:

void trans treeT
0
0