[Radiance-general] Model a Double glazing window

Guglielmetti, Robert Robert.Guglielmetti at nrel.gov
Mon Dec 21 07:28:24 PST 2015

OH MY GOD, YES. There are lots of CAD tools out there, which I'm sure you're familiar with. But there are also some CAD-to-Radiance geometry translators out there. Jack has some great workflows for this, if you use Revit or whatever BIM mess you're lashed to. Lots of people here use Rhino for geometry, and get into Radiance by way of the Alias-Wavefront (.obj) format. Again others here will have some workflow ideas. The project I work on (OpenStudio) can take a SketchUp model and translate it to Radiance format (and actually do a hell of a lot of setup for you if you're doing 3-phase daylight coefficient-type modeling with Radiance, but those models are biased toward energy modeling tools.

If you simply want to make a nice model in a free cad tool and export exactly what you've modeled into pure Radiance input, I'd highly recommend you look at SketchUp for modeling, and Groundhog and/or su2rad for the geometry translation:

http://igd-labs.github.io/Groundhog/
https://code.google.com/p/su2rad/wiki/Su2radIntro