[Radiance-general] Luminance - second lowest value

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 07:39:54 PST 2015

Hi Iris,

The easiest method is to simply exclude values below a certain lower threshold:

	pvalue –o –d –h –b –H picture.hdr | rcalc –e ‘$1=$1*179’ -e 'cond=$1-1e-6' | total –l

The "cond" variable in rcalc suppresses any records where cond<=0.  I have set the threshold here to 0.000001 watts/sr/m^2, but you can set it to whatever you like.

If you *really* want the second smallest value in a file, you can use the Unix sort command.  The following should give you the 4 smallest values (ignoring duplicates):

	pvalue –o –d –h –b –H picture.hdr | rcalc –e ‘$1=$1*179’ | sort -g -u | head -4

Finally, there is the Radiance "histo" command, which can generate a histogram of values, instead:

	pvalue –o –d –h –b –H picture.hdr | rcalc –e ‘$1=log10($1*179)’ |  histo -7 7

In the above example, I'm generating a histogram of 10-base log luminance values between 10^-7 and 10^7, and you can adjust this as desired.

Cheers,
-Greg