[Radiance-general] How to define reflectance of near infrared of solar radiation

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Mon Aug 17 04:27:59 PDT 2015

Hi Natchan,

reflectance from glass is a function of at least wavelength and
direction. So short answer is no, most surfaces will show an entirely
different reflection in NIR than they do in the visible range. Most
glazing manufacturers work on exactly this target - low NIR
transmission, high visible light transmission. And while reflectance for
visible light may be dominated by Fresnel laws, NIR reflection will
probably be caused by different mechanisms due to the coating applied to
the glass.

Please check some reflectance spectra to get an understanding of what
that means. And look into measurement standards:

http://windowoptics.lbl.gov/data/standards/solar

Radiance does not really care much about wavelength. As long as it can
be considered to behave as light, you can feed any kind of information
on radiation into the three channels that are evaluated in parallel
within Radiance. Most people use the three channels for color
information, red / green / blue. Often, when only photometric results in
terms of luminance or illuminance are required, you would set all three
channels to the same value.

Radiance has several material types for glass, but most of them assume
an uncoated glass (dielectric, glass) which may not be what you are
looking for. In your case, I would recommend to first define the
wavelength range you want to considere (what is NIR for you?). Then you
need to find the reflectance for your glazing for that wavelength range,
and for several incident directions. You may try to use Optics/Window,
both provided by LBL, to try this out. And check Jack de Valpine's nice
presentation on a very related topic, where he investigated reflection
from (coated) glazings:

http://www.radiance-online.org/community/workshops/2009-boston-ma/Presentations/devalpine_visarc_glazing.pdf

Please note that you will also have to model the emission from sources
in the _same_ NIR range as determined above.

Cheers,
Lars.