[Radiance-general] help pfilt and low values dgp

Jan Wienold jan.wienold at epfl.ch
Thu Aug 13 07:23:17 PDT 2015

Hi Jasper,

you definitely should use a newer version of evalglare.
If you go to the website:
http://www.ise.fraunhofer.de/radiance
you can at least download the 1.11 version-which doesn't have this bug.

The will be a new version of evalglare coming out in the next days/weeks
(version 1.17) - this will be announced separately here in that group.

Regarding your image: Your calibration must span the luminance-range you
want to measure.
If you calibrate between 1cd/m2-1000 cd/m2 it does not tell you anything
how accurate you are when measuring 100000cd/m2!
So if you want to measure the luminance of the sun, then you have to
make sure your camera is calibrated for such high luminances as well.
I guess when you want to measure several million cd/m2 you might need a
grey filter. At ISE we had several filters down to 0.0001 transmittance,
so it was easy to measure also towards the sun and the increase of noise
for the lower luminaces doesn't hurt so much.
Your coating on the window play a minor role in that case... honestly
for the sun you can be lucky to measure with one or 2 orders of
magnitude, so if your glazing is 0.75 or 0.4 in light transmittance is
negligible compared to the difference between 5000 and 200000000 cd/m2 !

The picture you have in dropbox is also difficult to check with an
illuminance meter when you integrate the values to an illuminance value,
because the sun is so much on the side and has a very flat angle of
incidence to your measuring plane. For example when your angle of
incidence for the light source (here sun) is 80° and your "uncertainty"
for putting the sensor in the right plane wold be 2.5 degree (it is very
difficult to put it more accurate), then you have automatically an
uncertainty in your sensor reading of 25% (of the illuminance)! (because
illuminance is cos-weighted and a difference in angle for large angles
is big for the cosinus).

Good luck!

best,
Jan