[Radiance-general] Luminaire modelling using Radiance

Randolph M. Fritz rmfritz3 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 15:52:45 PDT 2015

"Further to Randolph’s post, the idea is to wrap the luminaire
geometry as tightly as possible using the shapes Randolph mentioned,
but this enveloping geometry will have *illum* applied to it, not
glow"

Duh. Rob is, of course, quite correct.
--
Randolph M. Fritz, Lighting Design and Simulation
+1 206 390 4477 || rmfritz3 at gmail.com

On Sat, Aug 8, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Rob Guglielmetti
<rob.guglielmetti at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> single change in the scene file.
>>
>> When you write a plugin you have to pay attention to the units of the ies
>> file and adjust the -d parameter accordingly. Unfortunately ies2rad
>> doesn't
>> read that information from the file.
>>
>> The geometry in IES files is limited to discs, ovals, rectangles and
>> extrusions of these shapes. Mostly you will find the 2 dimensional shapes
>> for recessed and spot lights while the 3 dimensional shapes are used for
>> pendants (boxes and cylinders). If you want to avoid these crude things in
>> your model and use detailed geometry instead (from a dxf file, for
>> example)
>> then you use the -i option to create an illum sphere. The sphere will be
>> used with the luminance data generated from the ies file. You have to
>> place
>> the detailed geometry of fixture into the sphere yourself. ies2rad doesn't
>> do that for you.
>>
>> I found that geometry provided by manufacturers is very detailed and can
>> lead to problems in large models. MGF geometry information is extremely
>> rare.
>>
>> You can use the -t option to set the lamp type. This defines the color
>> temperature. The -m option allows you to set a maintenance factor that all
>> artificial lighting calculations require. Not that some lamp type entries
>> in
>> the lamp.tab file already include a correction factor for the lamp so you
>> have to take this into account when calculating the final value of -m. I
>> found it safest to use "-t WHITE" (which does not have a correction) and
>> lump all the efficiency reductions and maintenance factors together into a
>> single -m value.
>>
>> European manufacturers provide are more likely to provide Eulumdat file
>> specs for their luminairs. Sometimes they convert these for you into IES
>> files. If you can only get LDT files you can use DIALUX or something
>> similar
>> to convert the LDT to IES files. It used to offer this option a few year
>> ago, at least. There may be other converters out there, but I don't
>> remember
>> the names.
>>
>> Hth, Thomas
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 2:09 PM, Germán Molina Larrain
>> <germolinal at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I think this might be a silly question, but I actually have not found too
>>> much information on how to model luminaires using Radiance... I am asking
>>> this because I want to add this feature to the plugin I am developing.
>>>
>>> What is the recommended method for modelling luminaires in Radiance? I
>>> intend to use IES files as input. Hopefully I would also have the
>>> geometry,
>>> but I have to consider cases when this is not available.
>>>
>>> I know there is an IES2RAD program, but I am not quite sure how general
>>> is. Also, I have heard about the use of illums (a sphere, for example)