[Radiance-general] Luminaire modelling using Radiance

Randolph M. Fritz rmfritz3 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 13:31:45 PDT 2015

The basic technique is to wrap the visible geometry of the luminaire, if
any, with a glow in a simple shape that actually radiates the light. The
glow is transparent, so that the geometry can be seen, and direct
illumination does not pass through the glow, so light can be used internal
to the glow to give the luminaire a realistic look.

The glow geometry and description may be generated by ies2rad. IIRC only
four shapes are supported: sphere, rectangular, cuboid (box), and thin disc.

Ies2rad does not support eulumdat and again, IIRC, has not been updated to
support the latest IES photometry standard, LM-63-02.

--
Randolph M. Fritz, Lighting Design and Simulation
+1 206 390 4477 || rmfritz3 at gmail.com

germolinal at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I think this might be a silly question, but I actually have not found too
>> much information on how to model luminaires using Radiance... I am asking
>> this because I want to add this feature to the plugin I am developing.
>>
>> What is the recommended method for modelling luminaires in Radiance? I
>> intend to use IES files as input. Hopefully I would also have the
geometry,
>> but I have to consider cases when this is not available.
>>
>> I know there is an IES2RAD program, but I am not quite sure how general
it
>> is. Also, I have heard about the use of illums (a sphere, for example)
that