[Radiance-general] Luminaire modelling using Radiance

Germán Molina Larrain germolinal at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 11:09:20 PDT 2015

Hello everyone,

I think this might be a silly question, but I actually have not found too
much information on how to model luminaires using Radiance... I am asking
this because I want to add this feature to the plugin I am developing.

What is the recommended method for modelling luminaires in Radiance? I
intend to use IES files as input. Hopefully I would also have the geometry,
but I have to consider cases when this is not available.

I know there is an IES2RAD program, but I am not quite sure how general it
is. Also, I have heard about the use of illums (a sphere, for example) that
covers the entire luminaire....?

I am kind of lost, so if someone could give me a hint, I would really
appreciate it.

Also, if someone know where to find information about IES files and their
format, that would also be really helpful.

THANKS

Germán