[Radiance-general] Effect of -aa parameter on Rpict Rendering Accuracy

Nathaniel Jones nathanieljon at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 09:05:27 PDT 2015

Hi Andrei,

I'd add one more thing to Chris and Greg's comments. When you use a
non-zero -aa value, your ray paths that have gone through differing numbers
of bounces to affect the ambient lighting calculation. Thus, it may not be
a fair comparison to use the same -lr and -lw values for comparing -aa 0 to
-aa 0.01. Instead, you might need to choose a smaller -lw or possibly a
larger -lr for your -aa 0 simulation. I've tested a few scenes where I get
significantly more illumination by using a non-zero -aa value, all other
settings being equal, and I generally believe the non-zero -aa simulations
to give closer results to physically measured values.

Also, perhaps Greg can correct me on this, but I'm not sure if there's
anything to be gained by setting -ab larger than -lr when -lr is positive.

Cheers,

Nathaniel