[Radiance-general] unit of irradiance using epw as input

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 10:56:18 PDT 2015

Hi David,

The EPW weather file should contain total solar irradiance values in watts/sq.meter.  Radiance also reports values in watts/sq.meter, but only over the visible spectrum.  Therefore, we normally include an "efficacy" calculation that converts the EPW's radiometric values into these semi-photometric values.  (It's a bit confusing, but suffice it to say that Radiance's units have a relation to photometric units that employs a predefined efficacy/conversion value of 179 lumens/watt.)

If you want Radiance to actually give you total solar irradiance, then you should employ the -O1 option of gendaylit and gendaymtx.  This should forgo the usual correction factors.

Cheers,
-Greg