[Radiance-general] rpict and rtrace viewpoint differences?

P George Lovell p.g.lovell at st-andrews.ac.uk
Wed Mar 19 05:08:26 PDT 2014

P.S. having looked at the manpage for rtrace, I see that many of the
parameters I set for rpict can also be set for rtrace. So can I assume
that my brightness discrepancies are due to the omitted parameters?

George

On 19/03/2014 11:55, P George Lovell wrote:
> Dear Radiance People.
>
> I'm rendering scenes with both rpict and rtrace and I noticed some
> discrepancies between them. Despite both using the same view point
> definitions my images differ between the two renders: (the scene shows
> a green rectangular panel, a green elipsoid, some sky, green ground).
>
> 1) the rpict image (top in the attached file) seems to normalize the
> sky values so that they aren't too bright.
> 2) the rtrace image has a subtly different viewpoint.
>
> Three questions:
>
> 1) Can you tell me which command arguments determine the way that
> image values are clipped or remapped?
> 2) Can I specify the same clipping in rtrace?
> 3) Why are the views different despite using the same viewpoint?
>

> Here are the commands I'm running, in the sequence that they are
> executed.
>
> rpict -vf view.vf  -x 2400 -y 2400 -vh 28.07 -vv 28.07 -ps 2 -pt 0.03
> -pj 0.95 -dj 0.85 -ds 0.09 -dt 0.03 -dc 0.75 -dr 5 -dp 0 -sj 0.85 -ab
> 5 -ar 64 -ad 2048 -as 1024 -lr 12 -lw 0.001 wholeScene.rpict
>
> pfilt -x /1 -y /1 -rad 0.60 wholeScene.rpict > wholeScene.pic
>
> vwrays -vf view.vf -x 2400 -y 2400 >surfaces.txt
>
> rtrace -h -osv wholeScene.oct < surfaces.txt > rtrace_surfaces.txt
>
> Best wishes,
>
> George

Dr P. George Lovell,

Lecturer in Psychology
University of Abertay Dundee
Dundee
DD1 1HG

Tel 01382-308581
Fax 01382-308749

Researcher/Co-investigator,
School of Psychology, University of St Andrews

RM 2.27 (The Yellow Room).
Phone      (01334) 463056