[Radiance-general] BSDF orientation and implementation

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 09:46:45 PST 2014

Hi Chris,

Looking at the command you quoted, the "-opn" option to rtrace should be "-opN" for better efficiency, but this isn't what's causing the "broken pipe" error.  That indicates that rcontrib is refusing input before rtrace is done supplying it.

The only think I can think of is that you are running out of file descriptors.  If using "-e MF:2" instead of "-e MF:6" solves the problem, then this is the most likely cause.  The MF:6 setting requires 5186 descriptors.  Quoting Thomas Bleicher from a Feb. 2007 post:

> On Mac OS X the max number of open files is limited to 256 per
> user process. That's pretty low and not sufficient for any subdivision
> of the Tregenza sky pattern.
>
> To change the open files limit (on OS X!) I created a file
> "/etc/launchd.conf" with the line "limit maxfiles 1024 unlimited"
> and I set the kernel limit with "sysctl -w kern.maxfiles=1024".
>
> After a reboot I could set the shell's limit with "ulimit -n 1024".
> This can go into your ".profile" if you're going to use it a lot.

Unfortunately, the method for changing the number of allowed descriptors varies from one system to the next.  Good luck!

Best,
-Greg