[Radiance-general] HDR Sky Camera @ LBNL's Flexlab

Kyle Konis kskonis at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 16:10:29 PDT 2014

Following up here, (and on the referenced thread from about a year ago), i
did succeed in rendering some simple Radiance objects with HDR skies.

I have uploaded an example video here with the LBNL Skycam images (June 21,
2014 until about 10:40 AM) which was all I could process during the world
cup match:
http://performance-and-form.com/projects/rendering-digital-objects-with-high-dynamic-range-hdr-sky-images/

Thanks are due to Coralie Cauwerts for corresponding to provide me with the
proper .cal file for mapping hemispherical (rather than spherical) images.

The skies are used to render a chrome sphere sitting on a pedestal. You can
tell it is not a real object because it is outside for several hours and no
birds sit or poop on it. (Good luck HDR Skycam ! )

I have zipped all the files used to make the video and put them on the page
for download, as well as a few experiments i have made in manipulating
surfaces (either transmission or shading) in response to sky data from
Portland, Oregon using a Canon A570 with Stereo Data Maker used to automate
bracketed image acquisition (i have a plan to post the details for that, as
it is a very low-cost < $80 approach and will get to it).

let me know (offline) if there are issues downloading or executing the
files,

best,

-Kyle

Kyle Konis, AIA, Ph.D