[Radiance-general] Using radiance for simulating light pipes

Rob Guglielmetti rob.guglielmetti at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 12:45:35 PST 2014

What Lars said, and:

Most TDD manufacturers provide performance tables based on some incident illumination on the exterior aperture, relating that flux to an expected avg illuminance inside a model space, assuming some room cavity ratio and TDD spacing. People have been known to use those tables, and an annual exterior (e.g. roof) illuminance schedule (ideally based on a weather file and Perez sky) to scale the predicted interior illuminance for an annual (or whatever) result. In this way you could use a light backwards ray tracer because you’re just solving the problem from the roof to the sky/sun. This whole process would be super fast with Lars’ recommended approach to deriving the annual illuminance schedule (i.e. using gendaymtx and a single point on the roof). This approach also takes into account local obstructions (rooftop units, trees, whatever).

Several TDD manufacturers also provide photometry files that you could use in Radiance to compute a grid of interior point illuminances, and again scale those up or down based on the roof illuminance schedule. In this way you could do a fairly reasonable accounting of an actual interior.

The performance tables and photometry files are all a bit nebulous, based on assumptions and best/worst case scenarios, and voodoo. Your mileage may vary. Proceed with caution. Look both ways before crossing the street. But hey, it’s something. =8-)

- Googs