[Radiance-general] Radiance wiki proposal

Chris Kallie kallie at umn.edu
Wed Feb 5 12:03:05 PST 2014

Dear 'Googs', Fellow Renderers,

Thank you for your thoughtful response. Wikis do not take much money to
run (far less than $50.00 per year), and they certainly do not (or
should not) have any realized (or sense of) personal ownership. The
information is collectively owned by the community of Radiance users,
its contributors, and the public who pay for it. Admittedly, taxpayer
money handlers, administrators, and other bureaucracies are perhaps
involved in certain aspects of Radiance and its software; however, the
information can and should be freely accessible—a state that is not as
transparent or fully realized as the insiders and professionals of the
Radiance community might believe or project onto the public.

Admittedly, many wikis fail, although many (i.e., all currently
existing) wikis succeed, which is why I showed two successful, active,
and useful wikis of sufficiently divergent topics and obscurity to make
my earlier point. In addition to Wikipedia.org, there are countless
wikis that are supported by communities of the same size as the Radiance
community (in other words, we have critical mass, but still need
critical collective exertion/belief/effort, etc..) If Radiance were born
today, there would be no question as to whether or not to inform the
community with a wiki. In fact, I can't think of any other serious
software besides Radiance that doesn't have an active wiki where faq's,
tutorials, and examples are shared and edited by the community...what
does that say about our current situation?

Most of your arguments, from my perspective, are actually in favor of
having what I would call decentralized content. Clones, backups,
redundancy, historical tracking, and forking (if and whenever necessary)
are just a few of the advantages of wiki content, which is naturally
fully capable of supporting fast-changing and evolving topics such as
Radiance. In fact, wikis are better at this than the current
web/email/gatekeeper/server/owner models. The content should be shared,
copied, archived, cloned, and forked as the evolution of the software
and its users (USERS, are not exclusive to paid professionals and
developers) deem sufficient and/or necessary. It is just a matter of
time before a wiki is realized by current or future Radiance users—the
relevant questions are: how much time will it take; who (if anyone) has
to retire, step aside or be ignored; and who will be brave enough to
champion the inevitable: a completely shared, open, free, nonlinear,
user-based Radiance community?

The problem with naysayers is that they either fundamentally
misunderstand or loathe the concept realized by Wikipeida and its
clones. Bureaucratic entities are horrible at sharing information
(because they want to, or must, control it), which may be part of the
reason for why it is presently so darn hard for folks to freely learn
and use Radiance. Perhaps this is an anticipated or desired effect, but
fundamentally Radiance is fantastically simple to understand and use,
once you figure out how to get a book, find a mentor, or otherwise get a
handle on the current instructional tools. The current problem and
reason why the Radiance community is not larger is because the teaching
methods are outdated and obscure. Better methods of communication have
been around since the birth of Wikipedia. Furthermore, the
radiance-general mailing list is not as intuitive and easy to use for
beginners as it might appear to someone who has been in the business
since the very first Radiance workshop. And when (the linear and clumsy)
radince-online server shuts down, who is going to pick up the pieces and
carry on the legacy past our current generation? Probably Google, which
is the only real way to access (read as: stumble upon) radiance-online
content. Wikis are for all levels of users, including beginners and
advanced, who will eventually be responsible for the software and
community's future. Newsflash: you can't make money writing content for
using Radiance. So, why not make it free, freely available, freely
editable, and freely distributable? I urge anyone to think hard about
this question before submitting a pseudo-philosophical answer.

As I noted in my earlier email, I am interested in hearing from positive
responders (e.g., the thoughtful and defiant students who value the
points that I am trying to communicate in this thread, the artists who
want to share and inspire their work, the scientists and mentors who
want to advance our collective knowledge—in a freely open and
fully-peer-supported fashion). I am represented in all of those
descriptions, and I imagine or hope that there are many like me. Let's
get together and compare notes, publicly or privately. The professional
naysayers, administers, gatekeepers, and content owners might best serve
the public by simply listening to (or ignoring) this thread, short or
long as it may be...

Sincerely,
Chris