[Radiance-general] 3- or 5-phase method in simulation programs

Guglielmetti, Robert Robert.Guglielmetti at nrel.gov
Mon Feb 3 10:19:03 PST 2014

Yeah yeah, I know Greg. I think I associate "phases" with "matrices", is the problem.

Once upon a time we had rtcontrib, and people traced rays from the point or pixel to the sky. There was always an extra step required, to multiply the coefficients by patch radiances to get results. The process didn't have a name, because there was just the one Way To Do It[TM]. Then along came three phase (and eventually rcontrib), and there were three matrices to compute, plus the final matrix multiplication. So when that came out and it was called the three phase method, I equated "phase" with the creation of a matrix.

So you know, really, it's like two-, or four-, or SIX-phase!

Andy, you need to update your marketing materials. =8-)