[Radiance-general] Sun shading device in atrium

Guglielmetti, Robert Robert.Guglielmetti at nrel.gov
Mon Aug 18 09:06:43 PDT 2014

Hi Stanley,

Your problem can be studied with Radiance and either a BSDF or
approximated with a "trans" material. It's not as simple as giving you a
command or two, unfortunately. As for the solar trigger, this too is
totally possible in Radiance ‹ but again, Radiance alone needs some help
to make this a painless and efficient process. I would look at SPOT,
Ladybug, Daysim, and DIVA for Rhino for said help. In the shameless plug
department, NREL is currently working on modifications to OpenStudio that
will also allow you to do exactly what you are talking about, applying
shade controls to different window groups in your model, and controlling
them -- as one of several options -- by solar setpoint trigger, and
integrating the contributions from several spaces to "shared" daylit
spaces such as atria.

- Rob