[Radiance-general] Where does bgraph look for .plt files?

Vaib vaibhavjain.co at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 11:49:56 PDT 2014

I very much appreciate your efforts Sir. Everything on my system seems the
same as you wrote.

csh -f -c 'ls -l ${MDIR}line.plt'
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 728 Jan 25  2012 /usr/share/radiance/meta/line.plt

/usr/share/radiance/meta/line.plt file's first few line are:
#
#       This file defines a standard line plot,
#       where a curve is represented by lines
#       connecting each point.
#

include = standard.plt          # standard definitions

lthick = 2      # line thickness

#
# Curve defaults:
#

Athick = lthick                 # line thickness for A
Alintype = 1                    # line type for A
Asymsize = 0                    # symbol radius for A
Acolor = 4                      # color for A

Thank you.

Vaib

On 15 April 2014 20:36, Greg Ward <gregoryjward at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> # connecting each point.
> #
>
> include = standard.plt # standard definitions
>
> lthick = 2 # line thickness
>
> (...and so on...)
>
> I can't think what else might be wrong.
>
> -Greg
>
> *From: *Vaib <vaibhavjain.co at gmail.com>
>
> *Subject: *Re: [Radiance-general] Where does bgraph look for .plt files?
>
> *Date: *April 15, 2014 11:19:31 AM PDT
>

>  Sorry if I missed to mention, all the .plt files are present at /usr/share/radiance/meta/
> only, and I have set the MDIR environment variable (in both .profile, and
> .bashrc) to the same path. I just crosschecked again. May be there is
> something not working on my system. Or not a good day today. Thank you!
>
> Vaib
>

> On 15 April 2014 19:34, Greg Ward <gward at lmi.net> wrote:
>
>> As I *said*, you need to determine where the files are living on your
>> system.  I don't know.  That's why there's an environment variable.  You
>> need to FIRST find the file "line.plt" on your system, THEN set the $MDIR
>> variable to that location.  Simple.
>>
>> -Greg
>>
>> *From: *Vaib <vaibhavjain.co at gmail.com>
>>
>> *Subject: *Re: [Radiance-general] Where does bgraph look for .plt files?
>>
>> *Date: *April 15, 2014 10:20:06 AM PDT
>>

>>  Thank you Dr.Greg,
>>
>> Still it remains same.
>>
>> echo $MDIR
>> /usr/share/radiance/meta/
>>
>> bgraph lux.plt | x11meta
>> include=line.plt
>> bgraph: lux.plt: File not found: line.plt
>>

>> Vaib
>>

>> On 15 April 2014 18:38, Greg Ward <gregoryjward at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You probably need to set the $MDIR environment variable in your .bashrc
>>> (or other) startup script.  Some default directory location gets compiled
>>> in, but it must not agree with your particular installation location.  This
>>> variable is separate from the $RAYPATH setting, but similar.  It is the
>>> only other variable you need set in Radiance, as these plotting tools
>>> predate any of the others.
>>>
>>> Once you find where these files are located (try
>>> "/usr/share/radiance/meta" for starters), set your environment variable
>>> like so:
>>>
>>> export MDIR=/usr/share/radiance/meta/
>>>
>>> The trailing '/' is necessary in this case.
>>>
>>> Good luck!
>>> -Greg
>>>
>>> *From: *Vaib <vaibhavjain.co at gmail.com>
>>>
>>> *Subject: *[Radiance-general] Where does bgraph look for .plt files?
>>>
>>> *Date: *April 15, 2014 9:16:28 AM PDT
>>>

>>>  Hello everyone!
>>>
>>> I found a similar discussion on this link:
>>>
>>> http://www.radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-dev/2013-December/001383.html
>>>
>>> But still couldn't figure out. What could be the reason?
>>>
>>> *When I try bgraph command, I get an error that .plt file is not found.*
>>> bgraph lux.plt | x11meta
>>> include=line.plt
>>> bgraph: lux.plt: File not found: line.plt

>>> title="Working Plane Illuminance"
>>> xlabel="Distance from Window"
>>> ylabel="Illuminance [lux]"
>>> Adata=lux.csv