[Radiance-general] Experience implementing gendaylit with physical inputs (-G: direct - horizontal irradiance and diffuse - horizontal irradiance)

Kyle Konis kskonis at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 17:08:21 PDT 2014

I am curious if anyone has experience to share regarding the generation of
skies with gendaylit using physical sensor data as input.

I would like to monitor sky conditions at a building rooftop site and plan
to collect direct - horizontal irradiance and diffuse - horizontal
irradiance using Licor pyranometers.

Both sensors will be oriented horizontally. The first will be unshaded and
record global horizontal irradiance.

The second will have a shadow band applied and will serve to record diffuse
horizontal irradiance.

I will then subtract the diffuse-horizontal contribution from the global
horizontal value to obtain an estimate of direct-horizontal irradiance.

I wanted to confirm that this is an appropriate approach, as well as to see
if anyone has an alternative (better) idea, that does not involve a
pyrheliometer.

Best,

-Kyle

Kyle Konis, AIA, Ph.D