[Radiance-general] genBSDF error

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 09:29:03 PDT 2013

Hello Islam,

As Germán points out, it is difficult to pinpoint your problem based on a compiled, older version of genBSDF.  However, I can guess the cause based on your input.  Normally, a sample surface should be laying in the Z-plane, but you have put yours in the X-plane.  Furthermore, your system has essentially zero thickness.  There is a line in genBSDF where it divides by the X and Y dimensions, which should never be zero, but the width in X is zero in your case.

Beyond that, I should point out that it is neither necessary nor recommended to create an XML file to describe a pane of clear glass.  Even the tensor tree format has difficulty representing perfectly specular systems such as this, and in fact all the default algorithms in WINDOW6 and Radiance work quite well with a more exact description.  Can you explain why you even think you need to do this?

Cheers,
-Greg