[Radiance-general] Unsure how to specify a trans modifier

Reinier Zeldenrust reinier.zeldenrust at atelierten.com
Fri Sep 20 04:28:47 PDT 2013

Hi George,

That sounds like a very intriguing project - I look forward to seeing some of the results.

Trans is its own material, like plastic or metal. It can act as a modifier to a polygon, but not to another material (as far as I know).  Here is one that I have used:

void trans frosted_glass
0
0
7   0.7   0.7  0.7  0 0.025  1  0.95

frosted_glass polygon rectangle_1
0
0
12 etc.

The 7 trans parameters are not extremely intuitive, but you can read about them in Axel Jacobs' excellent Radiance Cookbook (http://www.jaloxa.eu/resources/radiance/documentation/docs/radiance_cookbook.pdf).

In my case, I think they mean the following:
   -0.7 0.7 0.7: the RGB values for the light that is coloured (i.e., not specularly reflected or absorbed)
   -0: the specularity of the material (in my case 0, as I didn't want or require specular reflection)
   -0.025: the roughness (small, in my case, to account for scatter in the transmitted light)
   -1: trans; of the coloured light, how much is transmitted vs reflected (I didn't want or require light to be diffusely reflected)
   -0.05: tspec: how much of the transmitted light is specular: if you choose this to be one, it would act more like a regular glass panel. I chose 0.05 because I wanted model glass with highly diffusive properties

So of the light that hits this trans material:
   1. 30% is absorbed
   2. 70% is transmitted, with no colour: 95% is scattered, 5% transmitted like a normal ray (although technically, I think Radiance uses a curve determined by these two parameters to scatter the light)

This is not a very realistic material, it would appear entirely black from the outside. I used it only for interior modelling with a single surface so that was of no import to me, and I wanted to avoid fiddling with both the RGB values and trans to get the final transmittance right.

In your case, you will probably want to pick:
   -green RGB values, probably fairly low (weighted), as most of the non-green light is absorbed for photosynthesis
   -low specularity (<0.07)
   -low roughness (<0.025)
   -low trans value (depending on leaf properties, probably more light is reflected than transmitted, so 0.2-0.5?)
   -low tspec value (<0.1) because most of the transmitted light will be diffuse

I don't know if these properties have been measured for different kinds of leaves / plants, but I'd be interested to hear if they are.

Hope that helps,

Reinier

Message: 3