[Radiance-general] Recover HDR from RAW images

Giovanni Betti gbetti at fosterandpartners.com
Tue Nov 12 10:26:03 PST 2013

Dear List,

Apologies for cross posting but I sent this to the HDR mailing list and had no reply, I thought I'd try my luck here...

I was wondering if anybody has some experience in recovering luminance information (an HDR image) from a single RAW file.

I understand RAW files as some sort of MDR (Medium Dynamic Range) images... not as wide as a true HDR but higher than jpgs and the like...
This range could be enough to get some meaningful results in certain lighting conditions (i.e. an artificially lit interior) where contrast is limited.

I have tried a few ways to accomplish this using Photoshop or Picturenaut or LuminaceHDR but I get very different results and a million different options that end up being quite confusing.

Anyone any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Giovanni