[Radiance-general] 5Phase & proxy geometry

minchaca miinchaca at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 10:26:14 PDT 2013

Hi all, I’m coming again with more questions now regarding the 5Phase
Method.  I hope someone finds the time to answer.

As following:

1.- I’m not sure of the use of the ‘BSDFproxy polygon inside’ included in
the glazing_bsdf.rad file.

If the latter was generated by genBSDF and includes already the dimensions
of the venetian blind, the model, the glazing, and the thickness is also
specified…why do we need to specify the coordinates of the polygon (same of
the glow material) in this file?

I also wonder if we need to use proxy when only if we have a system such as
venetian blinds. Is possible to use it also if we have a daylight system as
thick as a glass pane such as lasercut panel 6mm?

I guess that I can shorten this question by: what would be exactly the
function of the proxy geometry?

2.- Regarding this, in the tutorial you have to rotate the geometry in
order to generate the two xml files (section 6.2) my
silly-silly-super-silly question is:  what would be the orientation of the
resulting xml file? Are we re-orientating it by the last three values of
the orientation vector in the glazing_bsdf.rad ?

3.- I have a final question that just came now when trying the 5Phase: What
would be the number to use in rcontrib –bn when creating the
direct-sun-coefficient-matrix?

As I understand, it represents the number of sky patches, and it will
generate the values of the RGB in the output file. But, if I use –e MF:6 –f
reinhart.cal –b 5186, I obtain a matrix result with 31116 columns, which is
the number of sky patches six times? Please tell me where am I wrong.

I thank you in advance for your time and help!!

Chantal.