[Radiance-general] Could RTRACE produce two outputs (picture and values)?

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Thu Mar 28 18:15:46 PDT 2013

Hi Mirjam,

pixel values in a hdr file are nothing but binary-coded triplets of
irradiance data in three channels (RGB) if you render your irradiance
hdr image. If you have an image file containing these illuminance
values, you can extract the data to e.g. ASCII columns using pvalue -o
Outcome.hdr. pvalue does not interpret the data and thus does not care
about it being irradiance or radiance, it just converts between codings.
The -o makes sure to use the original pixel values in case any exposure
correction had been appiled (uncommon with irradiance maps).

The advantage in using a sensor grid, not an image, to calculate
illuminance is that you would typically use a rather coarse grid, with
less sensor locations to be calculated. This saves time per sensor,
allowing higher accuracy at each location. So you may prefer very high
ambient settings for a 10 x 10 sensor grid over a 1024x1024 pixel image,
which may force you to reduce the accuracy. This assumes that you do not
loose relevant information from the reduced resolution (e.g. a sensor
may happen to be shadowed by a thin frame, which would lead to
underestimates if interpolation between sensor values is applied).

You can also use pvalue -r to create a hdr image from your ASCII columns
of irradiance / radiance values. In that case, some information on the
x/y dimensions must be given.

Of course, recoding pixel values does not allow you to translate
irradiance into radiance or vice versa...

Cheers, Lars.