[Radiance-general] Radiosity method implementation on Radiance

Germán Molina Larrain gmolina1 at uc.cl
Fri Jun 21 13:19:53 PDT 2013

Randolph,

No, that is not my plan... I actually do not know much about artificial
lighting, hahaha.

Christopher,

I have some ideas that I would like to evaluate both in accuracy and speed.
Is not that any other software does not handle well what I am trying to do,
but as you said, I need some procedures and programs that exist in
Radiance, such as evalglare and the Perez model... sacrificing the
specularity is what I meant by "giving up some accuracy".

The advantage that I see on Radiosity+ray-tracing is that the ambient
calculations can be done with radiosity, and the direct calculations can be
done with ray-tracing. By doing that, the ray-tracing parameters are
relaxed, and fast to compute.

When everything is done, it is possible to move and render images fast,
using the precalculated values. This might be important to choose where to
locate furniture, for example.

I am going to stick to what Greg said for now:

*"If you need to compute the illumination of an empty box, then anything is
going to be fast.  If it's really, really important for you to compute
empty boxes in a second or two, then radiosity is the way to go.  If you
can wait 30 seconds, Radiance works, too."*
*
*
If I have time in the future, I will try to test my ideas... whether they
do their job well or not, would you, guys, be interested on having some
radiosity modules here for research purposes?

THANKS FOR COMMENTING ALL OF YOU!

German