[Radiance-general] genklemsamp.pl error on Windows

Mostapha Sadeghipour sadeghipour at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 17:53:34 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm trying to run the 3 phase method to on Windows and there are some
problems with running genklemsamp.pl. Not to say that I'm using Andy's
tutorial as the reference.

If I run genklemsamp by defining window properties it works fine:

>> genklemsamp -vp 50 0 25 -vh 80 -vv 40 -vd 0 -1 0 > samplerays_1.dat

However it crashes if I pass a window geometry file:

>> genklemsamp.pl -vd 0 -1 0 window.rad

Use of uninitialized value $tmploc in scalar chomp at C:\Radiance\bin\
genklemsamp.pl line 71.
Use of uninitialized value $tmploc in concatenation (.) or string at
C:\Radiance\bin\genklemsamp.pl line 72.
Can't spawn "cmd.exe": No such file or directory at C:\Radiance\bin\
genklemsamp.pl line 102.
Use of uninitialized value in split at C:\Radiance\bin\genklemsamp.pl line
110.
Use of uninitialized value $bcube[3] in multiplication (*) at
C:\Radiance\bin\genklemsamp.pl line 111.
Use of uninitialized value $bcube[3] in division (/) at C:\Radiance\bin\
genklemsamp.pl line 113.
Use of uninitialized value in addition (+) at
C:\Radiance\bin\genklemsamp.plline 113.
Use of uninitialized value $bcube[3] in division (/) at C:\Radiance\bin\
genklemsamp.pl line 113.
Use of uninitialized value in addition (+) at
C:\Radiance\bin\genklemsamp.plline 113.
Use of uninitialized value $bcube[3] in division (/) at C:\Radiance\bin\
genklemsamp.pl line 113.
Use of uninitialized value in addition (+) at
C:\Radiance\bin\genklemsamp.plline 113.
vwright: illegal horizontal view size
Illegal division by zero at C:\Radiance\bin\genklemsamp.pl line 118.

There is an issue with $tmploc on line 71 which is apparently only needed
for Windows systems. I tried to pass a different path to the variable as a
string but I couldn't solve the problem. Here is the lines 69-71.

if ($windoz) {
    my $tmploc = `echo \%TMP\%`;
    chomp($tmploc);

Anyone knows how can I get genklemsamp to work on Windows?

Thanks in advance,
Mostapha